Re: Re: Humakti acceptability

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:56:26 +0100

simon_hibbs2 wrote:
> I think many rituals would have roles for Humakt in the action, so to
> speak, but just because Humakt is acting as a guardian during
> fertility rituals doen't mean he's excluded from them. Part of any
> ritual involves defining the space within which it will take place,
> and guarding the boundaries is part of that. What is not in a ritual
> (excluded from it, or prevented from entering by Humakt) is sometimes
> as significant as what is included. A Humakt worshiper might even be
> explicitly 'cast out' of the sacred space of some rituals, as a
> necessery part of it.

And this exclusion could be mythically useful to the Humakti himself, not only to the fertility worshippers. If a Humakti willingly, or even actively, leaves the area of the fertility ritual, he is identifying his separation from Fertility, and thus strengthening his identification with Death.

In our campaign, we've touched on various Ernaldan holy days (e.g. Loom Day). I've suggested that these start with the Vingans among the Ernaldans, who significantly leave near the start ('Mother, I'm bored of this spinning! I'm going hunting with father!' Storms off petulantly.).