Re: Tentacles & concerns

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:42:34 +0200

Graham:

>This old chestnut again. Let me give the other side - burning >individual
>copies of books, flags, etc. in protest is legitimate comment. The
>enforced
>burning of all copies of a given book (that can be obtained) is not.
>Whether in this case the comment is warranted (protesting at publishing
>priorities of a decade ago...) is perhaps a matter for debate, though
>not,
>I'd suggest, on this forum. Given that I suspect there are literally
>hundreds of people on this list alone who have no intentions of burning
>their copy, I suspect that these books are quite safe for future
>generations to read and dislike.

This is a rather dangerous assumption to make. Through attrition, the number of copies will decrease. One day somebody might burn the last copy. I wouldn't want to be that somebody.

Also, as Stefan mentions, the book burnings throughout european history make the act very loaded.

Protest is legitimate, but destroying the thing you protest against is a dangerous path.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams.