Re: Greg's Comments

From: jeffkyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:07:45 -0000

Why do they put up with Uroxi? Because they serve a useful purpose. They are the best warriors. They don't kill off the folks they serve, afterall. They aren't drooling but they are inherrently creepy. Or at least, I've always thought so.

In the Cyrling clan, they are sequestered from the rest of the clan.

> them? Geez, the poor Heortlings already have to accept those
> obnoxious tricksters, they also have to tolerate psychopathic
> killers? Unless the Humakti are amazingly useful in battle, which
> maybe I'm not "getting", I don't see their purpose.

Why do we keep coming back to psychos? Greg's description didn't sound psycotic to me. Just... focused.

> Greg also wrote: "They are often men who have been resurrected".
>
> Huh? Doesn't Humakht hate this?

Its called 'Resurrection sickness' see Storm Tribe for details. I personally don't really agree with it but it makes for a good narrative hook. Asborn Fourborn has died lots and doesn't have the sickness - he's apparently quite cheerful.

> "One of my points in HQ is the contrast between everyday life and
the
> epic proportions of the Hero Wars."
>
> Good point. Some of our funnest roleplaying was as extremely young
> elves (getting trained by my semi-retired Yelmalian) who were
> terrified by the sight of more than one trollkin. But still, it was
> within the context of "big things". There has to be some chance
that
> your cattle raid will screw up the world.

Yep. Depends on how small your world is...

Barbarian adventures is that small pond that heroes can start in before they go out and do the more heroic stuff. But, its quite possible to start off with the wierd and amazing stuff... I just like to have a contrast to work from.

Jeff