Re: Re: Humakti mini-comment

From: Harry Sigerson <h.sigerson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:53:16 +0100

It is interesting that Greg mentioned John Keegan's book, I have just recently read it and many of his observations on how different societies define war are fascinating and applicable above and beyond this debate on Humakt. The distinction between "real war' and "true war", one fought all out to the bitter end the other contained within defined "civilised" rules of war (I wish the terms were less confusing as I can't remember which is which), is also relevant to how say the Lunar Empire fights compared to how the constantly feuding Heortlings fight. The Lunars are appalled by the Heortlings' inability to settle anything without it involving dozens of people trying to kill each other while the Heortlings are horrified at the death toll the Lunars regularly accept on the battlefield. Each considers the other "barbaric" for not following the required rules of war.

It would be interesting to ask how the two Death worshipping cults, Humakt and Yanafal Tarnils, on opposite sides of that conflict would that difference of opinion. Or maybe that is why Heortlings keep those scary guys around, hey they may be crazy but they kow how to fight fire with fire!

Harry