Re: [stormsteads] Who gets to be on the ring...

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:34:47 -0500

At 6:47 AM +0000 7/2/02, giangero wrote:
> > > Definitely. I think the Orlanthti Chief selection process is
>> > broadly democratic, in that most people get a say in who gets
>> > elected, but I doubt the clans as a whole is polled when time
>comes
>> > to appoint Ring members.
>
>just a doubt: do you think divination plays a role in this semi-
>election process?
>Is it possible that a highly religious bunch of people like the
>heortling does not consult the gods... (ehm) ...the deities, when
>they choose their rulers?

        Hmmm. I doubt that the Heortlings would ask the gods "Who should lead us," since picking your leaders is something of an Orlanthi duty (as opposed to the slavish Fire Tribe). I'd be surprised if part of the ceremony wasn't to ask the gods if the Chief was acceptable, but that deals more with whether the Chief has performed the correct ceremonies during his/her life. Of course, if you elect a Chief and the cows suddenly go dry, the grain withers, and the clouds avoid your tula, you might ask yourselves what's wrong....

>This possibility gives a lot of power in the hands of the godi, as
>well.

        Quite possibly, although most Heortlings have a distrust of priest-leaders since the EWF.

Peter Larsen