Re: Re: Sartar's forts

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 03:22:34 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, David Dunham wrote:

> Mikko
>
> > Here's something that looks a bit too sophisticated for a normal
> > Heortling earth-fort, but that would propably look quite right for the
> > magical building skills of Sartar the Maker.
> >
> > http://www.copenhagenpictures.dk/trlborg.html
>
> Actually, I think this looks too primitive for a normal Heortling
> hill-fort. (I think the structures are a bit larger than the average
> longhouse in Sartar, but the chief's hall could easily be that large.)
>
> The hill forts were built in the glory days of the EWF, and were
> still around to reoccupy centuries later.

I think the _big_ ones are EWF era. Many of them viridified by dragonfire (either deliberately while building, of roasted in the Dragonkill).

At least my vision of the Dragon Pass hillforts is the Celtic model, that is simpler than the one above, and not done in such military precision. Orlanth fort in the Storm Realm is a simple spiral. The viking fort with gates tunneling through the thick walls and a mote seems very sophisticated.

        -Mikko, the Adept