Re: Re: Sartar's forts

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:43:18 -0700

> At least my vision of the Dragon Pass hillforts is the Celtic model,
> that is simpler than the one above, and not done in such military
> precision. Orlanth fort in the Storm Realm is a simple spiral. The
> viking fort with gates tunneling through the thick walls and a mote
> seems very sophisticated.

Hmm, better check your Celtic hillforts - there are some really huge & intricate ones - take a gander at Maiden Castle (England) or Alesia (Gaul). The viking fort would fit into a corner of either of these. While most hillforts *are* small, most have multiple ramparts and ditches, and the Eglish forts often had elaborate gateworks (sometime in the past I remember seeing an article that the gates were built to the measure of a sling's range, but haven't seen that reference in a *long* time, and can't remember if it was in a book or magazine - this was long before the 'net.)