Re: Humakt's Gifts

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:02:15 -0000

<jumping in late because as the player concerned I was avoiding the thread>

I don't think we needed to run it, Andy wanted to run it.

My personal take on this is that there are different ways to re-enact the myth behind any feat or gift. The simplest and most common is to reenact it within the temple on a holy day, in which case the opposition is symbolic the task fairly routine and there is little or no risk to the quester. For the more ambitious you can go on a heroquest in some place appropriate to the myth (the marsh in this case) and face serious opposition and so risk taking real losses - but with the chance of making greater gains as a consequence.

> And wouldn't that be true for the character too? Wouldn't they have
> DO a 'Sunset Leap', whatever it is? And therefore already KNOW what
it
> means, what it does, what it looks like?

Or perhaps they:

  1. steal it from a fire god who can leap towards the setting Yelm
  2. get shown how to do it by trickster who can do it in this myth
  3. trade for it from some deity with a general leaping ability who may be willing to lose some small part of it in return for a boon.

etc.

Of course if you can't think of a way then don't run it!

--
Nic