Re: Zorak Zoran and Urox

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:40:37 -0000

> FWIW my belief is that the Trolls originally worshipped a
manifestation
> of ZZ known as Zolan Zubar. As a result of cross-species
communication
> encouraged by the World Council of Friends, the trolls discovered a
> stronger manifestation of ZZ - Zorakzor, a Taker incarnation in the
> Aldryami pantheon and killer of flamal. They adapted this in their
> own religion and came out with Zorak Zoran. This is bound up with
the
> formation of the Kitori tribe AFAIK and predates Arkat.

Excelent, this is exactly the sort of thing Arkat did. He would have known the Aldryami myths of Zorakzor, and as a worshiper of Zolan Zubar would have realised that if he turned left while walking through the Forest of Doom in Zolan Zubar myth XYZ, he'd walk into the Aldryami myth where Zorakzor kills flamal as Zorakzor.

I agree with Peter that Arkat didn't twist religions to fit a pre-concieved plan of his own, but he did take advantage of parallel and intersecting myths to expand and extend the powers available to the religions he adopted.

Simon Hibbs