Re: What's going on in Scotland?

From: Neil Smith <neil_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 15:53:33 +0100

Graham,

Glad to finally see you at CO2.

On Friday 02 Aug 2002 4:46 pm, you wrote:
> It would be possible (probably) to organise a smaller event. Not a con as
> such, more a meeting of like-minded people.

Sounds like an excellent idea!

> How much would you be willing to pay for it? (Split this up by
> membership/rooms/food/whatever, if you like.)

Pragmatically, as little as possible (Wife and kids to support, only one income etc.). The price for CO2 is pretty much my upper limit on what I'm allowed to spend. And that doesn't include the extra cost of travel to Scotland. This does mean that I'd be perfectly happy with something a bit more down-market with a hotel, something in line with the student digs of Convusion.

> Where would you prefer such a con held? (Glasgow/Edinburgh/other city/near
> an airport/near a train station/middle of nowhere/somewhere with good
> views/don't care/whatever...)

Soemwhere easy to get to. Which probably means Glasgow or Edinbrugh.

> Would you be willing to run a freeform/seminar/tabletop game/minatures
> game/whatever at the con?

Tabletop, yes (plus provide a scenario for others to run). I'd say yes to a seminar, but I'm not sure what I'd be expert in. I would say Greatlander culture, but I've excluded myself from that. The only other string to my bow would be "Writing scenarios the 3-act way", which may not be exactly mainstream.

> One possibility is to have a small slush fund to help interesting people
> from overseas attend. Would you be happy for some of your membership fee to
> be used for this?

Due to cost reasons outlined above, I'd prefer not. Callous. I know, but if the membership fee is too high I just won't be able to attend.

> Would you buy a fund raiser book to help such a slush fund?

Yes.

> Would you contribute to such a fund raiser (in return for the usual free
> copy)?

Yes, as long as I get more notice than Mark gave me for the CO2 fundraiser!

> Any other comments?

The sorts of events that would make me want to come would be a freeform or two (perhaps more of the scale of Great Glamour Sit-Down as opposed to HtWwO or HotB), the opportunity to actually _play_ some Hero Wars (as opposed to running it), and some interesting seminars. Perhaps a two-track programme might be best ("freeforms & seminars" and "games") to keep the majority of people happy.

And I think it's a good idea to start small. If it's a roaring success, you can always do it bigger the next year!

If this goes ahead, keep me in mind when you're looking for volunteers.

All the best,

Neil.