Re: Re: New Pelorian

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 01:28:17 +0100

On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 18:36:05 -0000, morgan wrote:

>Is Peter serious is proposing that merely studying New Pelorian might
>make one Illuminated? Shouldn't Illumination be something deep and
>mystical, something that many people spend years working towards?
>Why make it so cheap and easy? IMO, it totally ruins and belittles a
>lot of Glorantha. What's the big deal about studying and pondering
>the strange and conflicting teachings of the Red Goddess, if learning
>a few words of New Pelorian accomplishes the same task?

Well the one clear example we have of someone becoming Illuminated, from Cults of Terror, has it happen without any such study or effort, so (unless this has been Gregged) I think not.

In this case I think the point is more like real world Japanese - it's not possible to understand the linguistic structure without gaining some understanding of the culture. Though that of course may be an old wives tale.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac