re: New Pelorian

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:41:39 -0000

Andrew writes:

> To put it at its most prosaic--there are probably a lot more Nysalor
> riddlers who speak New Pelorian than, say, Heortling or Praxian or
> Darkspeech.

This is a "cute" idea and I would certainly accept it as a reasonable Glorantha. But Nysaloran riddlers have been around for hundreds of years, speaking all kinds of languages all over Peloria, Dragon Pass and Ralios. Combined with Greg's Official Line that New Pelorian has no direct association with Illumination, nor is the Lunar Way focused on Illumination, it is just as reasonable for your idea to be false.

I'm also not sure that the Lunars "engineered" New Pelorian. I've always viewed it as more like English, a natural, unengineered language - mainly Pelorian (Anglo Saxon), deep down some Pelendan (Celtic) but certainly some Carmanian (and Pentan???) words from under those conquests (Norse, French), plus lots of creative new words coined as an energetic and powerful culture expands to take over much of the world. (Hollywood, McDonalds, hi-tech, etc...)