Re: Some questions about rokari castes

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:17:00 -0000

No, I don't think so, although they are generally considered "below" men of the same caste. The "How the West Was Won" Rokari write up says "Due to their inferiority, women can only obtain salvation within the peasant and noble castes; they are not capable of becoming priests or warriors"

> -What limitations exist for the marriage among rokari (if any)?

I would guess that mariage is normally, (if not exclusively) within caste.

> Magicians, ligurgists, members of religious orders... can marry?

I don't think their is a blamket prohibition on it, although some factions (the White Wyzards, who are ultra-conservative, even by Rokari standards, for instance don't believe in marriage for wizards)

> In
> case that the women do not form a separate caste ¿Are there any
> limitations to the marriage among different castes?

Since movement between castes is prohibited, I think cross caste marriages are likely to be problematical.

> -¿How is the caste determined at the moment of the birth? I suppose
> that it's hereditary, but I'm not sure (order of birth seems to be
> the method among the brithini, but they have very few children;
> divination-like methods sounds too 'theist' perhaps).

According to my HtWWW character sheet
"You were born into a junior branch of the du Tumeraine family [the great banking and trading family of Nolos] in Noloswal in the duchy of Nolos. This marjed you out for the wizard's caste and you were indentured as an apprentice to the Rokari School of Wizards in Noloswal." ... not that that helps much !