Re: Heler and the Water Tribe

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:57:39 +0200

Greg Stafford wrote:

> Most water is generic water. The World is Made of Everything. Most water
> has not inherent animating power present under normal circumstances.

That was my understanding. Most (yelmic most ?) water, from jars to rivers is just that : water, which does what water does (being liquid and transparent, I suppose). Even water turned into ice by valindi magic has not become more 'theist', if I understand that correctly. Only if a certain personn calls a river daimon or a cloud spirit (or whatever) can you be more certain of what type of magic influences this particular bit of the wolrd.
Well, I personnally prefer that, I had no intention to see a Helerite Hero begging forgiveness before crossing any ford...

> Many sailor and fisherman Helerites live in southern Maniria (and even more
> in Umathela)

Yes ? Huh, they must have some traditional ennemies from undersea, then. And some mighty battles against their ancient brethren.

> >Is freshwater part of the Water Tribe ?
>
> Yes, it is.

Well, OK. A great and mighty tribe it is, then. Is there a mythic explanation for their being freshwater when the seas are saltwater ? (I suppose oceans and seas are salty in Glorantha ?). Sramake is very salty, and the farther away they are from True Ocean, the more feeble (and fresh) they become ?

> >I'm mistaken in deciding that a Rain Lord (or whatever title Heler devotees
> >decide to have) is in no danger if he tries to swim or cross by boat a
> >lake, stream or river in this region ? I know Heler is mostly associated
> >with rainwater, but I see helerites as also having a strong relationship
> >with water in general. They may swim more regularly that 'traditional'
> >Orlanthi, for example (for whom swift rivers are almost another realm).
>
> Their problem comes when they encounter entities of the Water Tribe. In
> that case Choralintho would offer resistance to a Helerite.

I'm sorry, but do you mean he offers resistance again the Helerite or again the Water Tribe ? That is, protection or aggression ? I always saw Choralinthor as a peaceful and loving bay, not an aggressive one. Well, against a Helerite, I suppose he has excuses.

> >Another question I have is about the cycle of water in glorantha. In the RW,
> >I think it's mostly : sun heats water, water evaporates, creates clouds,
> >clouds migrate somewhere else, it rains and water flow domnhill to form
> >rivers.
>
> >What would be a Gloranthan explanation ?
> >There is a friendly cloud/fog/mist goddess associated with Choralinthor
> >Bay (I don't remember its name), who is supposed to be one of Heler's lovers.
>
> I don't know of this entity off hand.

My confusion, of course. This entity is Heler herself, in her Ewe face. I remebered the name Ithas, wich is quite another thing, less pleasant.

No problem, I will use my mistake and tell my player it is indeed a 'goddess' which is the clouds over Choralinthor; linked to Heler somehow. I don't expect orlanthi to heartily accept the changing sexual nature of Heler.
'A goddess, yes yes. The Ewe. Well then that can't be Heler right ?'

.
> >Could it be that this goddess rises up, meets Heler (clouds above
> Choralinthor).
>
> Too much cause and effect. Heler is the Cloud God. He forms.

He is, he flows, he clouds. Water in the Air indeed.

> >From ther union come the many herds of sky sheeps, which live above Dragon
> >Pass. Quite a beautiful sight for a Helering. There, from time to time, they
> >lose their wool and it rains (what's the English verb for cutting the wool
> from
> >sheeps ? to shear ?). Bountiful Earth is fertilized by the rain, but a part
> >flows away and forms rivers.
>
> Yep.

Does that mean it can rain blue, golden or black water ? Under unusual circumstances, under colored clouds called by a powerful assembly of Helerings ? Ah, sacred rain :)

> >These rivers flow downhill, feeling the call of Magasta across the
> >many miles of sea. Does that mean they are already subject to the Great
> >Mover ?
>
> Yes. If a river flows down hill, it is part of the Greatest River of All
> Time and Space.

(Not that an orlanthi would know that, of course). That means for me that Syphon is indeed some psycho. Or maybe Syphon is needed, as even the Great River has its eddies and counterflows and contradictions.

> >(yes, some players of mine _may_ ask such questions, and anyway, that's
> >precisely the kind of thoughts that cross my mind while trekking in the
> >Alps and crossing streams)
> >Another explanation could be that after their defeat (thrinbarri ?),
> >the Sea Gods were forced to regularly send hostages to the Storm Tribe.
> >Elmal heats the sea (collects the hostages, as little daimones of water),
> >Heler the Traitor gathers them into clouds, and release them some time
> >later, where they joyfully escape their slavery and flow back towards the
> >sea ... Certainly, seeing Heler as a collector of slaves may be a good
> >reason to hate him.
>
> The stories you offer are fine.

well, thank you. That's mostly what a Helerite NPC would say, I suppose.

> Yes, there is a large and very very deep hole in the big toe region.

Oh, it is not just a heel print ?

[syphon]
> It is dangerous, but no more so than a normal river.

Ah, OK.

Philippe