Re: Orlanth Merely Holding His Breath. Vinga Likewise.

From: theunspokenword <mark_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:01:33 -0000

> the somewhat enigmatic "Deities with Magic" list on page 43 of
ODBAGAQFABTCDTSL
> (aka OID). What is this list exactly supposed to be, a
comprehensive list of
> the cults not affected by Windstop?

It's a list. Whether it is a comprehensive list is, to an extent, up to you and up to the level of nuance and complexity you want to consider.

The absolute bottom line, I'd suggest, is that if you are essentially a worshipper of Orlanth or Ernalda, then your magic isn't working, and this includes their children, aspects and subcults (and thus Vinga). Those who still have magic are generally deriving it from a separate mythic identity and source.

So, your devotee of Heler Helamakt is OK, but not if he followed Helamakt Thunderous.

Of course, this leads to some anomalies, as many of the powers these two share look the same in games rules terms. And here the usual HW answer applies - what works for the story? If you want to break affinities down into type, then fair enough. I thought John's dissection of the Vingan powers a clever exercise in doing this, even though I wouldn't apply it myself. Why? Firstly because I'm not sure that this is how I'd see the magic working, but more importantly because part of the power of the OiD epic is precisely the horror with which all these theists, used to throwing around all this magic with glib abandon, must suddently come to terms with a situation in which this magic is gone. Not weakened, not having a bit of a rough day, GONE.

But that's just what *I* want to do. I appreciate the concern at not having a cut-and-dried and comprehensive listing of magics which do and don't work, but given the rich and complex nature of the Orlanthi pantheon, there really were just two options: a quick and dirty listing like this, or a huge and detailed attempt to answer every possible variable, which would have meant something else being cut. And even then, it wouldn't have answered every question, as the Gloranthan community has a wonderful genius for surprise. 'What about my Tarshite Finovani, can he use magic?' 'Are Aeolians affected?' 'I have a Sylilan initiate of Alakoring Rex, is he OK?' (Off the top of my head, I'd say no to all three.)

Ultimately, though, the real answer is that equal parts liberating and frustrating answer to so many HW questions: why do YOU want?

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti