Re: Re: Orlanth Merely Holding His Breath. Vinga Likewise.

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:31:12 +1000

> > > >>>>>> > >> Spoilers below.

Mark - thank for the clarification regarding the list.

>Firstly because I'm not
> sure that this is how I'd see the magic working

My point exactly. Different, seemingly valid perspectives give different results.

>but more
> importantly because part of the power of the OiD epic is precisely
> the horror with which all these theists, used to throwing around all
> this magic with glib abandon, must suddently come to terms with a
> situation in which this magic is gone. Not weakened, not having a
> bit of a rough day, GONE.

VERY telling point. You've just changed my mind for me. :) I was analysing as a character and as a player, not as a narrator. The end of the world is not intended to be pleasant.

> Ultimately, though, the real answer is that equal parts liberating
> and frustrating answer to so many HW questions: why do YOU want?

Way true. Trust the story. Herodom is more than power and force of arms, it is wisdom and restraint and courage in the face of suffering. (Except when it isn't - i.e. Eurmali, Uroxi and Tarshite Finovan brothers-in-law, as Mark points out above.)

John

More Spoiler Space

Are You Sure?

Last Warning. Go Back.

Lots of Spoilers Ahead.

Darth is Luke's Father, Bruce Willis' character is already dead, Sinclair is Valen, Elvis has *definitely* left the building and the aliens in Signs are the dumbest creatures in the universe. With the possible exception of the movie's scriptwriters.

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Numbers are everything. Eat no beans.