Re: Re: Tap Dancing

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:33:44 -0500

At 2:04 PM +0000 8/30/02, jeffkyer wrote:
>> Peter Metcalfe makes a good chase for Tapping being chaotic
>> (there's a chaos god of it, apparently), so my previous post should
>not be
>> taken as a suggestion that tapping isn't chaotic, but (this is a
>> long-winded yesbut, I suppose) if tapping is chaotic and the
>Brithini have
>> been doing it since Malkion made dirt, why aren't they chaotic? I'm
>not
>> just talking about the Brithini culture, either; there are some
>Brithini
>> who have been around nearly that long, merrily (well, dourly, they
>aren't
>> exactly a merry bunch) tapping away. Why don't these wizards become
>Broos
>> or ooze or whatever you choose?
>>
>> Peter Larsen
>
>Possibly because the Brithini go about it in a rigidly defined and
>documented proccess that defines the correct way for acquiring excess
>energies.
>
>(Oh, how I hate writing documentation)

        Um, isn't this that relativity that's the root of this arguement (Chaos for thee, not for me")?

>Its the folks who tap anyone/anything/anytime that have to watch out.
>But I don't have every badguy sprouting tentacles...
>
>Is it just me or with HeroWars, did Chaos become a much less prevalent
>foe? Its probably due to the fact we're not dungeon bashing as much
>and are too busy arguing with our neighbors about cattle
>raids & feuds.

        Yes, and I think it's for the best. Overuse of chaos makes it, well, commonplace. If it's Broos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, how scary can Broos be?

        So there you are, on your tula, engaging in good Heortling activities like stealing your neighbor's cows, killing people in feuds, cheating strangers, and so on. That's normal, natural, and good.

        The clan next door (Bad Apple Clan) are Heortling but creeps about it -- they raid the same steads over and over again, burn people during feuds, skip out on wergeld when they can manage it. They are bad.

        The Lunars are worse. They worship weird gods, mess with the Law, take all the cows during raids (called tax collection), and so on. They do not understand how to live.

        Then there are the PargAddi and Char-Un. They are viscious fighters who ignore the proper rules of battle. Worse yet, when they win, they chase and kill the retreating fyrd. Even worse, when the fyrd is destroyed and scattered, they destroy the steads, kill the cattle, rape and murder the women and children. They do not know anything about correct behavior, and they are evil.

        Lastly, there is chaos -- it is the most terrible enemy, because it can come from anywhere and can never be driven completely away. If you break Orlanth's laws, even while fighting the PargAddi, you may call chaos to you or become chaos yourself. Even if you are blameless, chaos can wound you into chaos. There is no sure defense, and, unlike the other bad things, chaos can take you away from Orlanth and Ernalda, can make you not yourself.

Peter Larsen