Re: Shielings

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:49:59 +0200

Roland :

> I've a question for the list. I'm considering a scenario for my
> players which takes place among the shielings of the clan. I wanted
> something where the characters would feel isolated, yet would be there
> with their families,

On the face of it, this seems a little self-contradictory.

I don't think the shielings are a place for family, at least not among the Heortlings proper. Pastoral motifs as modified by Heortling culture are the thing : free-spirited and independent-minded shepherds and sheperdesses, living among the cloudy mountain summits, living in communion with the herds, the storm, and their own liberated passion - excuse me, while I stalk off romantically, and sing an aria ... ;-)

Nonetheless, I believe there are such (proper non-Lunarised Orlanthi) families in the highlands around Lyran Mountain, small dispersed clans of Voriofi who survived the Darkness by turning the youthful romanticism of the shepherd life into a hard-nosed method for surviving the Darkness and beyond.

Lowlanders ? Go figure ...

> and I could think of nothing better than the
> summer pastures, since I presume they must be located some distance
> away from the steads. However, I could find no indication of just how
> far the shielings are from the steads, other than the description of
> the tula as being fifteen miles by twenty-five. Any ideas?

Stop thinking in 2D ?

The shielings aren't a certain distance *away* from the heart of the tula : they're a certain distance *above*. Ever been to Austria, Savoie, or anywhere similarly Alpine ? 300 yards as the bird flies can be a loooooooooong way away as the fyrd climbs, and sweats, and scrambles ...

;-)

Julian Lord