Re: Shielings

From: themalum <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 04:23:03 -0000

> I don't think the shielings are a place for family

Aha. I'd been influenced by the RW practice of transhumance, in which (I'd been given to understand) the herders went with their families to the shielings. I'd actually wanted an isolation that was "normal" to the Orlanthi (not like the extreme isolation and alienation that figure as themes in OiD). I just figured, after checking the books, that that was as close as I was going to get...

> The shielings aren't a certain distance *away* from the
> heart of the tula : they're a certain distance *above*.

This is true enough. I was specifically trying to think in 3D terms, but that didn't really come across well. My understanding of "apparent size" also owes something to other RPGs and the movement rates assigned to caravans; realistic or not, they were the source I first referenced...

Many thanks.

Roland