Re: Re: Individuation

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:56:46 -0700

At 07:29 PM 9/10/2002 -0000, you wrote:
>So, do ancestors only retain their collective identity as ancestors
>because they are worshipped?

Basically, yes.

>If a clan was so thoroughly wiped out
>that its ancestors were no longer worshipped as such, would even god-
>learners or lunar experimental heroquesters find it impossible to
>contact that clan's ancestors?

The clan does not exist, therefore ancestors of something that does not exist is rather, um, impossible.
They join the nameless, faceless masses of souls.

>On the flip side, when a new clan is formed and starts worshipping
>its "ancestors," presumably that creates a new grouping in Orlanth's
>Halls?

The ancestors are not all in Orlanth's Halls, but yes, they do. Ancestors can be almost anywhere in the god world, underworld and so on.

>(the clan ancestors may also be ancestors of other existing
>clans, but now they have more than one group identity?)

They don't have more than one group ID, though: they are ancestors. They are ancestor of everyone who is their descendant.

>I always did wonder how ancestors interacted with the creation,
>merger, splitting, and destruction of clans. Simply stating that the
>worship of ancestors lets them have identity as ancestors answers
>those questions!

When a clan splits off form another they have the same ancestors. When groups join to make a new clan they find those ancestors they have in common.
When clans merge they share ancestors that they have shared. When clans are destroyed their ancestors are no longer set apart as their ancestors, because the clan does not exist.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>