RE: Re: Aldryami writers, anyone?

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:21:25 -0400

I agree, they're far too alien to be playable. I see them as just being part of nature. It must be easier to interact with spirits and such. They're definitely up there with dragonewts, mostali and slarges as far as mysterious entities go.

"Aldryami?" The old man thought a minute or two and then spat on the ground. "Well, they're damn weird. Lunars you can almost understand. They're screwy and think funny but if you catch 'em while they're young you can raise 'em as good Heortlings. Uz? There just hungry all the time and scared of the light. We can understand that, who hasn't been hungry? But elves? They're plants for Sartar's sake! You're as likely to understand a daisy as an elf." He paused again then spoke, "Mind you though a daisy never filled anyone full of arrows!"

For a great aldryami weapon I'd recommend The Circle Opens #2: Street Magic by Tamora Pierce. (I'd recommend any of her books-don't let the young adult label put you off). Two of the characters are plant mages who have small balls filled with plant seeds. When the balls are thrown at an enemy the plants spring to life covering the target. The plant seeds can be simple vines for snaring or nice thorny vines if you're feeling hostile. Definitely something I'll be using.

Oliver