RE: How Nasty Is A Trickster?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:19:02 -0700

Caveat: I'm not Enlightened.

stefan.drawert_at_... wrote:

> I'm curious now - how you would handle the resulting situation:
> the trickster, angry about HIM, possesses the key to tragedy,
> but on the other hand is actually suppossed to reveal the secret love,
> because their secrecy breaks heortling's laws.

...he could always wait and reveal it at the wedding, right after it's too late to do anything. Or wait until the first-born child, and keep making oblique references about who he really looks like...

> how nasty is a trickster?

As I see it, it isn't so much that tricksters are "nasty", as that they can't control their actions. ("...I even trick myself!") But that means, IMHO, that sooner or later, the news is going to come out--they just can't help themselves.

> what 'counter-measures' are legal for HIM to prevent the uncoverage?
> thanks in advance.

As I understand it, tricksters are completely outside of Heortling law. If the trickster isn't bound to an Orlanthi or in a prescribed role, HE can just kill the trickster out of hand--nobody will ask him to explain his actions. If the trickster *is* bound to an Orlanthi, HE can probably still kill him without *legal* consequences (other than, perhaps, having to pay a destruction-of-property ransom to the Orlanthi)--but the social consequences may be ugly, if, say, the Olanthi was just about to go on his Lightbringer's Quest and suddenly finds himself short a trickster.