Re: Re: Uz mothers

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:03:27 +0100

> > I believe the figure is closer to 50/50. Enlo are further complicated
> > by the need for the mother to purify herself for a year afterwards.
> > I've therefore used the figure of one uzko and one litter of enlo
> > every three years, per breeding female when trying to work out troll
> > population dynamics.
>
>That seems rather high !
>
>Admittedly, this is a fantasy race, but basing your calculations on a
>one pregnancy per year (normal pre-Gbajic practices) appears quite
>exaggerated !

I was going for the upper limits, not the norm. I'd suggest that these figures are still quite *low* though. One every three years mean six or seven uzko born per female (assuming a twenty year breeding period - seems likely to be the upper limit to me). Now a number of these will die due to disease or violence, leaving, say, three or four per female as survivors. Possibly a little high, but not unbelievably so. Pushing it out to a year between pregenancies, regardless (i.e. one uzko every four years) would be down to two or three adult uzko children per female, which seems to me to be pretty much the lower limit for survivability.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson