Re: Uz mothers

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:19:23 +0200

Graham :

> >Uz females are under social pressure to get pregnant a lot, since
> >only a small proportion of births bring forth Uzko; most bringing
> >forth Enlo.
>
> I believe the figure is closer to 50/50. Enlo are further complicated
> by the need for the mother to purify herself for a year afterwards.
> I've therefore used the figure of one uzko and one litter of enlo
> every three years, per breeding female when trying to work out troll
> population dynamics.

That seems rather high !

Admittedly, this is a fantasy race, but basing your calculations on a one pregnancy per year (normal pre-Gbajic practices) appears quite exaggerated !

I agree with the 50/50 ratio, but otherwise wouldn't it be better to reverse-engineer what stats we do have (Sazdorf clan etc) according to some sensible figure for Uzko life-expectancy and therefrom work out how many Uzko births (2x that equallng number of pregnancies) the "average" Mother will have (tweaking the figures to account for stillbirths etc and other local demographic data such as : is there a Malia shrine in the vicinity, does the clan worship Humakt, etc) ?

Julian Lord