Re: Third Age Brightness of Yelm?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 01:05:36 +1200

Mikael wrote:

>We know that Yelmalio is worshipped nowadays in southern Peloria, and that
>such worship isn't exactly uncommon. Yet most Sun Dome Temples fell with
>the EWF and the remaining worshippers of Yelmalio were slain during the
>Dragonkill War. As far as i can tell, the Q&A about Yelmalio is pretty
>silent about any third age Brightness of Yelm.

His cult still survived in the fringes of Balazar, Talastar and Prax. Although the Temples fell, Yelmalio's worship did not.

>My question is: how did the current and widespread worship of Yelmalio
>come about?

As a result of religious dissent among the Elmali of Sartar, Monrogh received a revelation from Yelmalio and reconsecrated an old Sun Dome Temple. His success lead him to send missionaries, who with Lunar support, made the Sun Dome Temples in Peloria glow again.

>Did worship of Yelmalio survive the Dragonkill outside Balazar to grow
>again?

It survived but did not grow again until after Monrogh's time.

>Did the worship of Balazar Yelmalio spread to all of southern
>Peloria?

No.

>Was there another Brightness of Yelm to fill Yelmalio's sandals after the
>Dragonkill?

Yelmalio shines forth from Yelm in times of crisis (Arkat, Dragons, Hero Wars). When there is no crisis, Yelmalio is quiescent.

>I ask this because IMG the lunars in Far Point actively enccourage Elmali
>(and other rebels too) to convert to worship empire-approved Brightness of
>Yelm instead of Elmal. I want to know if this process started first after
>Monrogh's revelation or if that merely added fuel to a pre-existing
>conversion process.

The worship of Yelmalio is present before Monrogh's time but there's a lack of vitality. The Lunars could still be persuading Far Pointers to worship Yelmalio but there would be an element of wishful thinking about the results they expect.

--Peter Metcalfe