Re: Third Age Brightness of Yelm?

From: Mikael Raaterova <mikael.raaterova_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:14:27 +0200

Thanks for your input, Gian, but it didn't actually shed much light on my dilemma.

>Yelmalio (under another name) rose during the first
>age

Yes, this was Daysenerus, the cult of which was killed during the Gbaji Wars.

>Probably many remnants of Yelmalio proto-cults were
>present in the second-age Genertela Barbarian belt
>cultures (after Arkat destroyed *nearly* all of
>Palangio and Loko empire), not just in southern
>Peloria.

According to the Yelmalio Q&A, Yelmalio was discovered and established during the second age. He became popular with and through the EWF.

>> My question is: how did the current and widespread
>> worship of Yelmalio
>> come about?
>> Did worship of Yelmalio survive the Dragonkill
>> outside Balazar to grow
>> again? Did the worship of Balazar Yelmalio spread to
>> all of southern
>> Peloria?
>
>IMO, the opposite: from Peloria (after Alakoring and
>Pelorian remnants of ancient Yelmalio cults merged and
>thrived), the worship of Yelmalio went to Balazar with
>Balazar himself.

Yes, Yelmalio came to Votankiland with Balazar before the Dragonkill. My question asks whether worship of Yelmalio spread from Balazar back to AFTER the Dragonkill.

>> Was there another Brightness of Yelm to fill
>> Yelmalio's sandals after the
>> Dragonkill?
>
>I don't think it necessary, since Dragons did not kill
>Yelmalio himself but merely the most part of his human
>worshippers.

True, of course. What i meant was if a cult of another Brightness of Yelm replaced Yelmalio after the Dragonkill.

>Maybe Aldryami also worshipped him and
>weren't entangled in the Dragonkill. Also the Dragons
>didn't destroy the Temples outside of Kerofinela, just
>like in Prax: lot of opportunity for relic hunters and
>heroquesters to rebuild Yelmalio cult anywhere they
>want.

This is an option i hadn't thought about. Might the cult of Yelmalio have re-established itself in southern Peloria from surviving remnants in Ralios, Maniria or Prax?

>> I ask this because IMG the lunars in Far Point
>> actively enccourage Elmali
>> (and other rebels too) to convert to worship
>> empire-approved Brightness of
>> Yelm instead of Elmal. I want to know if this
>> process started first after
>> Monrogh's revelation or if that merely added fuel to
>> a pre-existing
>> conversion process.
>
>IMO, Pelorians which brought first Elmal (GodsAge) to
>the Orlanthi and then proto-Yelmalio (Dawn-Empire Age)
>now are merely keeping on their ancient practices of
>imposing sun-worshipping on barbarians (in their eyes,
>they strive to impose order on disorder and violence,
>after all).

Well, this doesn't answer my question, does it? Since the opening of Dragon Pass, and the Empire's conquest southwards,

I want to know if the lunars, since the resettlement of Dragon Pass, could have introduced some empire-approved alternative to Elmal before Monrogh's revelation of Yelmalio?