Re: Re: Storm Bull and Urox

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:38:42 +1000

Simon:

> I don't see why not, according to greek myth the goddess Athena
> sprang full-grown from Zeus' forehead, although edmittedly only
> after he had swallowed his pregnant squeeze-of-the-day, got a
> headache and had his head cracked open with an axe.

Even more telling (and far less misogynist) is the Durgha/Kali myth. The tiger-riding Durgha (Devi, Parashakti) is the consort and power (shakti) of the Hindu gods. Armed with *all* their weapons (Shiva's trident, Vishnu's discuss etc.) she gets called on when the gods fail, and can dispatch even the greatest of demons without ever losing her cool or smearing her makeup.

On the occasions when Durgha *does* lose her cool, Kali pops out of her forehead, to the dismay of the universe in general and the enemy demons in particular.

While unwilling to take generalities too far, the myth of Urox out of Umath may suggest, rather than a parthenogenic birth, that Umath is (or once was considered) an aspect or particular state of Umath. When the Great Storm gets really wild... heeeeeeere's Urox! Duck and run.

John