Re: Another Cyclical Question

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:55:27 +1000

Human pregnancy in Glorantha is earthly pregnancy*gloranthan year/earthly year = 280*294/365 = 225 days, which I'd shorten to 224 days or 4 seasons, giving the same day and week to both conception and birth, (barring Sacred Time complications ).

The Gloranthan year is shorter, only 294 days, though it is generally accepted to be the equivalent of an earthly year. Most breeding cycles will be shortened in a Gloranthan context, though you also have to take into effect the effects of the extra seasons, which can *really* complicate things. Its generally best to go by the seasons rather than by time - for example, Gloranthan bears mate in Earth Season, are born towards the end of Dark Season and leave their dens for the first time in early Sea Season (which is an extra season compared to earth, but is the year equivalent and makes more sense)

Human fertility is largely unaffected by the seasons. (There is still a small evolutionary preference for births in spring). If you use the formula above, human menstruation is 28*294/365 = roughly every 22-23 days. The reason must be related to the Earth, though I don't think anyone has yet produced a myth.

John