Re: Infanticide?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:39:45 +0000

Ian Cooper

> I would agree with Graham's comments, especially about
> doing whatever works for your group, but also say to my
> mind it is mostly genre inappropriate. Such events do
> happen in myth and fantasy, but they tend to happen
> offstage, be momentous for the storyline, and involve
> the heroes more in the consequences than the event.

In many myths infanticide (or failure to die from an attempt) makes up one of the items of specialness for a Hero (Campbellian rather than game term). As a narrator I prefer infanticide as moral dilemma for the characters over covert Krarsht worship in my games. It both puts the player characters in a situation where a greater myth starts from their actions, gives them a villain they cannot just kill and be done with it.

> If you want to tell stories about a character who was
> abandoned in the rushes, but will bring about the fall
> of the kingdom okay. But asking questions about whether
> or not Gloranthan cultures practice infanticide of
> disabled or wrong gendred children at birth is probably
> something best considered within a group, if they wish to,
> and not in public.

Ian, this is the group for narrators to discuss such items. I could hardly go and ask my players what they think the Heortlings do if this is the core secret of my scenario.

> Too many real world issues, too many people who do not
> want to have to deal with it, IMO.

Hmm. Killing other people in your games for inherited hates or different creeds, large-scale ethnocide etc. are part of the games and do have real world issues. If we left those out, we could next drop the myths as well.

Perhaps I create uneasiness in my audience (game group). This is a perfectly acceptable tool of dramaturgy.

To the question itself: I think that an "initiation in diapers" in times of great need could be an almost common occurrance. Exposing the infant to the Otherworld could be sacrifice or initiation. Great magic lies there, either way. (Ironshod storytelling as well.)