Re: Elfball

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:38:29 +1300

kmnellist_at_... writes:

> It suggested a match between dwarfs and elves but I see dwarfs playing
> some sort of racket sport, and, for a number of reasons I think it
> would be squash: played in a hard walled "cave", lack of height not
> a huge disadvantage (unlike tennis say), and it fits with the mostali
> as modern capitalist wage slaves parody.

The Mostali practice bowling (as in ten-pin rather than lawn) according to the Different World's Dwarf special. They use their bowling skills in combat when they bowl grenades against invading humans, elves and trolls.

> For a God Learner sport still played in all their former colonies,
> the best I can think of is association football, which was a RW
> attempt to "monomyth" the various rules of kicking about.

My personal problem with it is it's far too popular and that the english fans remind me of the audience participation in Trollball. IMO this doesn't sound like something the God Learners would care for.

 --Peter Metcalfe