Re: Godlearner sports

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:14:44 EDT

In a message dated 21/10/02 08:18:15 GMT Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< > For a God Learner sport still played in all their former colonies,
> the best I can think of is association football, which was a RW
> attempt to "monomyth" the various rules of kicking about.

 My personal problem with it is it's far too popular and that the  english fans remind me of the audience participation in Trollball.  IMO this doesn't sound like something the God Learners would care  for.

  --Peter Metcalfe >>

You're right. Probably wiped out by the Gift Carriers so that no one remembers it so that it would stop people going on about the year Jrustela won the Lozenge Cup.

How about (and this is getting more than a bit tongue in cheek) downhill skiing. Godlearners take a previously sensible method of transport (cross country skiing) and make it something else (a leisure pursuit) that needs magical assistance to make work (ski-lifts, snow machines) damages the environment and is practiced by the upper echelons of Godlearner society. Intense snobbery is possible:

"What's the piste like on the Spike this season?" "I've got a lift pass for the Hill of Gold, but the black runs are all closed because of heavy Zorak Zoran"

..and it could be continued in many areas previously occupied by the Godlearner Empire, at least in the winter months. It might explains the two year winter in Ralios. Orlanth may be dead, but the skiing is great again!

I'm sure I could make a joke about kiwis working in european skiing resorts to counter the slur on enlish soccer fans but in the name of international relations, I won't. :)

Keith