Re: Strange OT: Back on topic

From: Neil Smith <neil_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:30:19 +0100

On Friday 25 Oct 2002 10:39 pm, you wrote:
> Hostage crisis in Moscow, I turn on the BBC and there is our very
> own Mark Galeotti, being asked for his opinion. Hard times but
> respsect to Mark for his expertise in troubled times.

Dragging this back onto topic, it shows that there's still life left in the old Russia/Lunar analogy. We have a large empire, based on an ancient religion. But, the southern states of the empire follow a different religion. In the heartlands, this other religion has a reptutation of being militant and extremist; the southerners are viewed with suspicion. In one small, barren, mountainous country on the empire's borders live the most hard-line followers of this southern creed, and they are planning an unconventional war that will change the world...

But of course, no analogy is perfect.

Neil.