Re: tula, tular, etruscans [was fyrd]

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:26:21 -0000

Tom wrote:
>Now how do i pronounce tula? 'toola' or 'tewla'?. Where does tula
come from?

My assumption it comes from the etruscan term for a sacred boundary 'tular', derived from the word 'tul'or stone, because the boundary markers were sacred stones. It is one of the few known words of Etruscan.

There is a link here that refers to them:

http://www.geocities.com/jackiesixx/caere/citiespage.htm

Notsure on pronunciation (though I think everyone in our game pronounces wyter wrong which comes from 'vaettir' the name Germanic/Norse name for a land spirit, and has a 'v' not 'w' sound on the first syllable)

Cue endless speculation on other etruscan elements in Orlanthi culture ;-o