Re: Re: Playing Powerful Characters

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:02:08 +0000

>As an example, if you are travelling incognito the same bunch of bandits
>jumps you regardless of your abilities. Early in a campaign this is a
>big thing, later on its a "roll just in case you embarrass yourselves".
>The presence of the bandits can be important, saying something about the
>lands. The technical use of Close Combat clearly occurred. But do the
>players get to count it?

My point - if the players don't get to count it, why play it out at all? I'd just hand wave "a group of bandits attack you, but are so clearly outmatched by your fine selves that they quickly run away screaming like little girls." Why roll for something so dull?

>I also try to have the bench marks fixed - clan champions round the 10W
>- 10W2 regardless of player ability, etc.

So the players don't compete with them either. The point is that if the game hasn't moved on to bigger challenges, it has got pretty dull.

> > The point
> >remains that by the rules, if a player wants high skills, he will get them,
> >even if it breaks the game.
>
>Not if there aren't the challenges present. Once you are the best
>fighter in the area you aren't going to get better unless outsiders come
>in (or you have some form of "mobbing" house rule)

Leaving aside just spending the extra hero point for an increase, again - no challenge, why bother playing?

>I also like the "book keeping" at the end of the session

As I said, YMWV. I have no interest at all. Getting feedback is worthwhile, but this ain't how I like to get it.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson