Re: The Lost Legion

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 09:39:08 +1000

Nick Hollingsworth <nickh_at_...>
> Subject: The Lost Legion
>
> Does anyone know whereabouts of the Ghost Gors in the highlands of Far
Point
> where the lunar legion was trapped and slaughtered in 1607?

Some bits and pieces from "Fires of Mist and Wind-Blown Snow", a conversation between Helden Brokentongue and Cradledaughter the Vingan, when they meet in the gors and gallt (forest and waste) of the Lost Man Hills. CD is pointing out some local scenery.

"They used to call it High River's Prayer, but now it's the Ghost Gors. It happened in my father's time, before Starbrow's first gathering of the tribes. Three thousand Lunar infantry died down along the river, so the skalds tell. Trapped and picked off in the gors during Dark Season, driven to drown in the gallt. A generation ago, before they learned to fight in high country. There are still bodies and pickings aplenty down there, the local clans say, though none would dare touch it. An evil place.....

"Lunar auxiliaries left without properly burying the dead. Even Dragonewts avoid the valley now. The silver crescent and the battle horns of the Quarter Come Corps and the Jintori Heartlanders are still missing, and worth a king's horde for their return."

"Down there is where the hatred really started. The Ghost Gors led to the rise of Harvar Ironfist and on to the Righteous Wind and the massacres that followed. The Lunars never ventured into the uplands in force again, and they learned the wisdom of hiding behind palisades during Dark and Storm. Now they leave most of the dirty work to Ironfist and his Bearded Storm.

Helden's camp is in the Lost Man Hills, to the north of Jaskor's Hold. So this is also the locale of the Ghost Gors (aka Teutoburg Forest :)). The Trollpak map is by far the best for this region.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                          John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_...

The most important function of art and science is to awaken the cosmic religious feeling and keep it alive. - Albert Einstein.