re: Glorantha and DBM

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...> <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:30:16 -0000

Mikko asked about this a couple of weeks ago. In one campaign I ran one battle using DBM rules. I scaled it so that each figure was one person, so a stand of cavalry was 3 actual cavalry. PCs were assigned a class by me (that was half the fun, deciding who was a Knight, who was fast Light Horse, who was a Psiloi), then elements were "fleshed out" with NPCs.

PC stands were almost always S grade, and got an extra +1. In a few cases if they had great equipment or spells I gave them a +2. And the bad guys (surprisingly, not BHT!) had chaotic horses that made them act like camels.

If a general made some sort of Leadership / Military Lore roll they got extra PIPs. Otherwise the rules were fairly normal, as we had no big time sorcerers or long range spell casters.

The players kindof liked it. The main complaint was that, even with a +2, they felt that PCs were undervalued. I enjoyed it because one PC kept joining units and running away, effectively routing them. The bad guys won and captured two PCs, forcing a daring rescue effort.

For PC summaries of the action, see

http://www.orion-forever.com/firesword/campaign/campaign2/game17a.asp and
http://www.orion-forever.com/firesword/campaign/campaign2/game17.asp