Why go to Gloranthacon ?

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_...> <rjmeints_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:02:53 -0000

This is a great thread. I hope a large number of others who have been to one or more will join in with their reasons, experiences, and examples of how much fun it can be. I also hope those that haven't been to one will ask questions that, once answered, may motivate them to attend.

I love Gloranthacons, ever since David Cheng and co. started the magic in the US. I went and knew absolutely nobody, but walked away with the start of friendships that have already lasted since then and hopefully will last for the rest of my life.

While all manner of people attend, they all share a common love of the world of Glorantha, as experienced through all of the different games it supports. I particularly enjoy the human interaction of the freeforms and social events. You can dress, eat, talk, argue, sing, drink, dance, overact, and even pretend to die like a Gloranthan, often with an appreciative and encouraging audience.

The meeting of Gloranthan minds and the ideas that spring from them is astounding. Gloranthan based conventions motivate a lot of creative efforts that get showcased at the convention. All manner of gaming scenarios are usually on hand. If you want the latest and greatest, it often usually debuts at a Gloranthan convention.

I also enjoy the "being a college student again" part of it, with the sing alongs, late nights, drinking and revelry that can go with it.

The purchasing opportunities also greatly appeal to the collector in me. Not only do I get to be a big ham as an auctioneer, but I also get to peruse every new product out before I cave in and buy all of them anyway. Even obscure stuff is often obtainable, and there always contacts who might be able to help you out after chatting about what you're looking for.

Tentacles, Convulsion, and each of the Gloranthacons are all different, with similar and divergent characteristics, but they all celebrate all things Gloranthan and I can't stop going. It was a hard thing to miss the second Australian Gloranthacon, the only one I've missed. I enjoyed Convulsion so much that I happily served on the organising committee for the last four runnings of it. Tentacles is the continental convention where I can't miss visiting my continental friends, especially since I haven't had much luck in tempting them further afield. I look forward to my eighth time Tentacling.

So much more to say, although I should conclude by agreeing with all the other good things that have been brought up as examples of the goings-on at these conventions. I can't believe so many have already come and gone.

Hopefully, I'll see you at Gloranthacon VIII.

Rick Meints