Re: Ride the chariot

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:04:11 -0800

Andrew Barton wrote:
> Andrew S:
>> Just FWIW--Roman chariots were mentioned earlier in the thread;
>> Romans, in fact, outgrew chariots just the way David describes.
>
> It's news to me that the Romans ever used them in warfare. Anyone
> know of a reference?

I'm not sure they did, either--I was eliding a certain amount. I meant just that while the Romans certainly had chariots as part of their cultural heritage, and might or might not have ever used them in battle (I didn't and don't know, but I'm sure our scholars do), they certainly didn't use them at the time when, say, your better gladiator movies take place.

>> Even in the Iliad, there's a sense that Homer knew what a chariot
>> *was*, but didn't really know what it was *for*--the heroes ride the
>> chariot out to the battlefield, park it, get out, and fight on foot.
>
> That was one style of chariot warfare in historical times - Caesar
> described the Britons as using them in much that style, with selected
> warriors using the chariot for mobility on the battlefield but doing
> their actual fighting on foot.

This I didn't know--thanks!

--AMS