Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:51:26 +1100

What's a Garhound?

I've been conducting a conversation with Bo Rosen and Ian Thomson, during which Bo asked the meaning of the word 'Garhound.'

I didn't find a straight English derivation of the word, though I discovered there are also garhawks garpikes, garfish and an alligator gar. It turned out, however, there are three derivations of the prefix 'gar'.

Three meanings for 'gar'...

  1. gar [n.] |ETYM| Prob. AngloSaxon. <g�r> dart, spear, lance.

2.

PRONUNCIATION: g�r
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: garred, gar�ring, gars Scots To cause or compel.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English geren, from Old Norse gera, to make.

3.
Pronunciation: 'g�r
Function: interjection
Etymology: euphemism for God
Date: 1598
-- used as a mild oath in the phrase 'by gar'

And in Webster's, the revealling note...

Gar (?), n. [Prob. AS. g&amacr;r dart, spear, lance. The name is applied to the fish on account of its long and slender body and pointed head.... Cf. Goad,
Gore, v.]

Related to Gor! Ah ha!

So from the definitions above, a garhound can be either a spear-hound, god's hound, or a making hound - all of which cry out for a myth. Or it could be a Gor-hound, which is even more suggestive. Take your pick!

I suppose I could ask MOB, or Greg if it goes back to his maps, but this way is much too much fun.

John