Re: Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:20:41 +0000 (GMT)

> What's a Garhound?

> So from the definitions above, a garhound can be
> either a spear-hound, god's
> hound, or a making hound - all of which cry out for
> a myth. Or it could be a
> Gor-hound, which is even more suggestive.

I seem to remember that Garhound the place is ruled by the Garhound family. Which name derives from which, do we know? Are we trying to find the myth that names a Sartarite person, or one that names a Praxian place? (Or, given its position on the border, a Sun County place?)

How long has the town been there, anyway?

Do Praxians use hounds? Do Sartarites (when they don't have sheep to herd)?

My immediate thought, I have to confess, was a protective spirit of the town, which when it takes visible form looks like a long thin dog. It only appears if there's a threat to the town: if the source of the threat is outside the walls, it appears, "points" at it, and howls. If the threat is inside, it appears, points, howls, then tears its throat out....

But I have no idea where this beast came from, why, who it used to be....

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com