Re: Gloranthan fiction

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:15:43 +0000 (GMT)

> the apparent lack of a sustained
> interest in fiction
> beyond game mythology (not that I mind myths :)),

?? Are you sure about that?

Given the number of non-myth stories on the "Mything Links" site? And the way we refer each other to works of fiction as examples of how to do things?

> Glorantha is increasingly becoming a male ghetto. My
> own experience of the
> gender balance is that it has been spiralling
> steadily downwards since the
> early nineties.

Yes, there used to be a good half-dozen of us, and now.... hang on, that wasn't a good start, was it?

Would any other female lurkers out there like to speak up? Please?

> And part of the reason is that we don't address the
> gender issue, and don't
> address women as part of our prospective audience.

The amount of screaming, hollering, and throwing tantrums it took to stop Greg & co labelling your standard female Orlanthi adventurer as impossible, without bothering to say "15% of them can do it anyway", much less give the rules for *how* they do it anyway... yep.

> And given the incredible detail and colour we can
> evoke in Glorantha, the
> wonderful and sustained stories we can tell, why are
> we so shy about
> fiction? I don't mean campaign writeups and myths,
> much as I love them, but
> sustained stories that stand on their own strengths
> and can introduce and explore our common world.

Because not all of us can write as well as you can, John. (When can I buy "Helden" on Amazon? Yes, I would.)

> Over the past year or so I've been working on a
> thick description of the Far
> Place and one particular stead and its year. As I
> look at the assorted bits
> and pieces, the descriptions of people and places
> and events and story
> seeds, I realise that it would not take a very great
> change of emphasis to
> make it into a novella. But is there a place in our
> community for such? Would it sell?

Well, I'd buy it. Do you have time to write it?

> Is it time for a Gloranthan short-story magazine? A
> writers circle? Another
> 'Heroes of the King/Gloranthan Visions' project?

Give it a try!

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com