Re: Stormblooms, Boltblooms and 'wild shamrock manners'

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:23:40 -0000

Because it is the Sartarite 'national' flower, I think it doesn't have to be the perfect storm folk flower (else all the Heortlings, maybe even all Orlanthi, would hold it in equal regard, and it wouldn't be so special to the Sartarites. Besides the Sartarites are the folk of storm and earth, and other things). Rather, it should be key either to the local history, starting with the Quivini resettling  the area after the dragon kill, or else associated with Sartar or his immediate heirs (i.e. in the making of Sartar, or the preserving of it after Sartar's passing).

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to flowers (they all fall into the category of "things that make me sneeze and get itchy, watering eyes), so I have no suggestions for real world flowers to use. But thinking symbollically, I'd go for something that blooms (or spreads its seeds) around 88 day, and which perhaps has one of the following histories:

Another thought is that it might grow mostly just in the Quivin Mountains (although maybe also in patches on Kero Finn).

Good luck!

--Bryan