What have I been smoking?

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:01:18 EST

Martin writes:
"I've always considered all the cults to be intellectual exercises in world building and only minimally influenced by anachronist modern practices, politics or societal structures."

Morgan responds:
>What have you been smoking?

Here I think is the problem, I haven't been smoking anything so I've always tried to be rationale and objective and particularly non-anachronistic in my approach to Gloranthan writing. To me anything less is a disservice to the world. Course I do trip over my own principles from time to time but I'm a human not a machine.

>The Heortlings are always "freedom fighters against the oppressive evil
empire", heroes >right out of some movie like Braveheart or Spartacus.

Movies (loosely) based on historical reality, which is how Glorantha should be run. When you start running the Sartarites like the characters from Red Dawn then you have real problems...

>And they are sexually liberated, some wet dream from the late-1960s, unlike
their
>repressive Dara Happan (but not all Lunars) opponents.

Can't say I'd noticed this about the Orlanthi, they are very much like many medieval cultures in the way they operate within the family.

>One of our players tried to play a powerful Yelmi / Dara Happan, he
>gave up, it was just impossible to roleplay.

I've seen it done and been part of it and it is definately NOT impossible to play a Dara Happa, esp a hideously patrician one. Its actually very amusing to play, lots of dark comedy.

>Take away the female-centric liberation aspect of Lunar mythology, and the
whole >Empire can easily become just a corrupt oppressive clique of MCPs.

Not really, there are plenty of other cultures in the Empire and the DHs are not all corrupt, they are true believers and often are very pure. Just from our perspective they are highly sexist. But then if we are roleplaying from our world why not play in our world? Why are we lumbering Gloranthans with our society when we can explore _theirs_?

Martin Laurie