re: What have I been smoking?

From: MorganConrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:50:59 -0000

A lot of this we'll just have to agree to disagree, I don't think it's worth lengthy debates.

Martin writes:

>>And they are sexually liberated...

>Can't say I'd noticed this about the Orlanthi, they are very much
>like many
>medieval cultures in the way they operate within the family.

Well, there's Yinkin and Eurmal, but they could exist anywhere I guess. Then Vingans, who, "can enjoy men [plural] whenever they like" (as I recall the wording, though is that only on the Other Side?) This is contrasted to the Lunars, who are generally portrayed as either uptight Puritan Dara Happans (about whom Greg has made his feelings clear) or corrupted orgy-loving courtesans.

>>One of our players tried to play a powerful Yelmi / Dara Happan, he
>>gave up, it was just impossible to roleplay.

>I've seen it done and been part of it and it is definately NOT
>impossible to play a Dara Happa, esp a hideously patrician one.

If the party has strong women, it's very tough. Sometimes you can finess it, as he did with my diplomatic, relatively non-challenging merchantess. But one of the other women was a powerful priestess of Rufelsa, whom the Yelmi can't very well command to wash the dishes.

Frankly, we found the idea of MCP Yelmi tough to deal with, since they have been conquered by a female goddess, so many of our PCs are women. We played them as deluded, glorying in the "good old days" and ignoring the fact that they've lost to Rufelsa, just like they lost to nearly everybody else in the past (Orlanth, Arkat, Sheng Seleris, Carmania, etc...)

Advice on better ways to play Solar Dara-Happans greatly appreciated.