Newbies

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:55:17 EST

Hi All,

 Talking of newbies, I have recently played in two games of newbies, one was in a game run by Lawrence Whittaker using his own bastardisation of the HW rules for three 16/17 year olds and the other was with Tom Zunder's young son Matt, aged about 12. The one thing that I will say about both games is that all of them had really got into the world and didn't give a damn about the system, it was strange seeing young people being absorbed into Glorantha in exactly the same way I was 21 years ago. In the case of Matt we played quite a hard-core Sartarite Game with loads of mythology, cultural weirdness and political issues, Matt relished in them, he was not swayed at all, in fact at one point HE was controlling the game, in fact his lack of inhibitions about his actions made him the most heroic character in the game, and the HW/HQ mechanics never restricted his imagination once. I think Glorantha has the potential to become alive and vibrant, all of these kids were surrounded by technology that allowed them to visualise there imagination on computer screens and TV sets and yet they were still relishing a pencil and paper game, if anything they were more imaginative and creative than I had been in my youth. As a child my imagination was being sparked by Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts, now the kids have got Lords of the Rings to stir their minds.

Cheers Simon Bray

The Unspoken Word - The Magazine for Gloranthans and Heroes http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword/