Re: Grungy bits

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:35:08 -0500

Jane Williams writes:

> The physical realities of Glorantha tend to be based on
> ancient/medieval reality. And in those times, public toilets,
> with flushes and loo roll, didn't happen. If you were
> travelling, you found a bush. I hope. Privacy and
> hygiene.... no. So discussion of bodily functions in
> Glorantha, unless hopelessly unrealistic, tends to make modern
> players squeamish. So we don't do it.

Fair enough; although Glorantha already soft-peddles some aspects of RW history, which in turn render it more appealing to the modern person (i.e. healing magic, or the appearance of magic at all, for that matter).

Perhaps (without descending too far into the indelicate) there are bits of common magic that address the hygiene problems attendant with the lack of modern plumbing, just as there are bits of magic that address the problem of what happens to one's body when it comes into close contact with a big, nasty, sharp, bit of bronze.

> I've sometimes seen predominantly male groups bring the grungy
> bits into the game, apparently as a deliberate attempt to make
> other players unhappy: a sort of "I'm tougher than you are"
> competition, along with "I can drink more lager before
> throwing up". I do not see this as a good thing myself, nor
> would I suggest that it is typical behaviour for most male
> roleplayers. (Or am I being unduly optimistic?)

Such behaviour has certainly never surfaced in the groups I've been a part of, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

> And FWIW, RW menstruation varies between women, but it's
> somewhere between a minor nuisance and several days of pain
> and nausea. In either case, leaving it out of
> semi-wish-fulfilment fantasy is probably a good idea.

Point well made; I suspect that this was what Julian may have been getting at before.

> If you're playing the ritual life of the clan, though, it
> could be important. There are actually good reasons why
> menstruating women should avoid certain activities, it's just
> that they aren't relevant to "normal" (read: abnormal")
> adventuring life.

And depending upon the way the magical world works, a woman's in-game cycle may very well logically have an effect on in-game events. Menstruating women may have access to more powerful, or less powerful, magics for example.

It sounds to me like it's the kind of thing that could provide a useful plot hook or background detail for some adventure some time, but not necessarily be something that regularly intrudes on play.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this issue.

--
Viktor