Re: Playing games in Glorantha

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:56:11 +0100

Bryan :

> OK, so when it comes to *newbies* (as opposed to old RQ players), I
> don't see this as complex issue. "Everyone worships Orlanth and
> Ernalda, except for a minority that worships some other god. If you
> want to be a warrior, besides the warrior cults of Orlanth the most
> popular minor gods are Elmal the loyal defender, Urox the berserker
> and chaos fighter, and Humakt the god of death. You like the sound of
> Humakt? OK, so his followers are stern and grim worshippers, who
> worship DEATH, and are ready for death at any time--you're cool with
> that? Great."

FWIW, I find the HW/HQ versions of the cults far more focussed than the RQ versions ever were, subcult umpteenhood notwithstanding.

Humakt is Death.
Orlanth is the Storm, the Allfather, and the Warrior. Elmal is the Sun.

etc ...

The cults are written around singular unifying themes, making them far easier to present to a newbie than, say, the RQ2 Humakt write-up with all its bizarre outcrops.

I don't find the new Humakt subcults bizarre in the slightest.

Julian Lord