Re: Fun OR Accuracy?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:57:57 -0000

Jane wrote:

> It's a question of knowing which ones are important
> and which aren't. That isn't at all obvious from just
> reading a list of subcults. Which aspects of Ernalda
> are common, which are minor and/or unusual, which are
> integral to the clan or tribal structure? No hints
> given.

To be fair, there is a two-page spread near the back of "Thunder Rebels" which sets out which of the Orlanth or Ernalda aspects are common, archaic survivals, bizarre variants, etc. But the format and layout of TR *really* don't help. I can't say how pleased I am that current and future Issaries books are making clear layout and usability their priorities.

> The language we're using is English, not Sartarite.
> In English, "all" means 100%. If you want a word for
> 85%, try "most, or "usually". Misusing the language
> does not aid communication.

Hear, hear!

Nick