Re: Semi-continuous inhabitation

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:32:54 -0000

The clan generator in Orlanth is Dead pretty much has the answer for you here. Surviving clans did not join the EWF, but were in Heortland, Saird, Esrolia or Far Maniria. They might have been members of the old day traditionalists, and left the pass if their ancestral homes were there (off the top of my head DP is Liornvulli around modern Kordros island, Stravuli around Grizzly Peak and the Kerospine, the Orgorvaltes of Quivini land, the Koroltes toward where the Grazelands are now). The EWF was levelled by the dragons, and the elder races took over. one-hundred and twenty years is enough for farmed land to return to its natural state and my guess is the dominance of the elder races would have accelarated this.

The interim of 120 years is the Inhuman Occupation. The pass was the home of beast men, trolls, and dragonewts. Since the humans (first the Grazers, then the Orlanthi from the south and the north) these inhabitants have been pushed back into hiding or sacred areas.

The Resettlement is one of the saga events for the Orlanthi settlers, as featured in King of Dragon Pass. It is the Heortlings equivalent of the Icelandic settlment sagas. Note that it is resettlement  and we know that people like colymar re-occupied old sites like Clearwine.

We discuss this pattern of settlement, and the stories that the Heortlings know about the places they live in, in Kerofinela: Land of Thunder. Many of the stories they treasure date back to muthic times. Do not forget that Kerofinela is sacred to the Heortlings because so many of their sacred stories took place here. People can point to a rock on their tula and say remember when we told you the story of Finovan's first raid. That rock is where he rested to talk to the fox woman.