Re: Re: Semi-continuous inhabitation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:41:08 +0000 (GMT)

(lots of good stuff snipped)

> one-hundred and twenty years is
> enough for farmed land to return to its natural
> state

Slight quibble here: that's nowhere near long enough for it to return to oak forest, which would be the original natural state for most of lowland Sartar. Back to downland, maybe. But for land that had just been neglected, not hit by dragonfire, you'd still be able to tell at a glance that it had once been cultivated, which direction it had been ploughed, and probably where the field boundaries had been.

Come to think of it, the Highland Clearances would probably make a useful comparison. Cleared of farmers from around the early 1800s, sometimes in a highly destructive manner. OK, so sheep probably aren't quite as bad as dragonnewts, as beings to inhabit your lands go, but last time I was up there you could spot where the abandoned farms had been easily enough. And it's been 200 years or so.

> and my guess
> is the dominance of the elder races would have
> accelarated this.

The Aldryami might well have accelerated it. Trolls would surely just have eaten it bare?

> We discuss this pattern of settlement, and the
> stories that the
> Heortlings know about the places they live in, in
> Kerofinela: Land of Thunder.

Great, I'll look forward to that. Even if it does keep that daft name :)

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com